The moments……


Scenario 1 It is ok! 

 

Child W is crying. He is almost two and has been with us since last September. Apparently, a little friend just grabbed a toy “back” from his hand. I talked to both of the boys and Child W still has a few drops of tears on his face. Then, Child L went over, giving Child W a hug, patting his back and trying to comfort him. It was a very touching moment, seeing my little one has empathy and being willing to make her friends feel loved really made my day!




Scenario 2 We did it!


Playhouse with mini dolls and furniture is always popular among the little ones, especially the girls. They just love dramatic plays. The pieces are stored in a container and need some “techniques” to put all of them back in the box due to the different sizes and shapes. I have demonstrated how to arrange  the pieces, starting with the biggest piece, such as sofa, closet or bed and then moving on to tables, chairs and other smaller ones. They usually need my help but this time was different.


One afternoon this week, I opened this playhouse as a station for the little ones to play. Child P and Child B really enjoyed it. When I asked them to clean up, I was busy dismissing some of their friends. By the time I checked back, they already did it by themselves. I was surprised and  acknowledged their success by giving them positive feedback! “Wow, Child P and Child B, you put the playhouse away by yourselves. That’s so good!” The grins immediately appeared on their faces and they even gave each other a high-five! 


Their sense of self-achievement surely boosts their confidence. I always believe all children have the capability to reach their potential. It just takes time and consistent practice to build up their tolerance of frustration before they gain the trophy, even for small tasks.




Scenario 3 Look! I made an airplane!


Child G has shown great interest in bricks,blocks and Lego. While playing with them, he can stay focused to make different creations and he loves to share with me. One day, he made an airplane and it looked just like a model. One day, I made a small suggestion to strengthen the wings by adding an extra brick on the top of each wing. A couple of days later, he showed me the exact same airplane he made again with the extra bricks on the wings as I told him. Particularly, he pointed out the part he added. Apparently, he had taken my suggestion and tried several times. He was satisfied with improved creation.  


I looked at him and was impressed with how he processed the given information. He didn’t  just take it but examine it. I notice he likes to pay attention to details. Therefore, I have learned to break down steps with more details while giving him instructions. It works better for him and I am so glad to see his improvement. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog