How I adapt online resources to my classroom—an eagle cardboard puzzle and feed the bird with worm activity


One of the popular themes on the curricula in daycare is about birds. This spring when we have a bird as a theme, I would like to try some activities that integrate more fine motor skills with science and math concepts. Immediately, an eagle puzzle popped up in my head. Personally, the eagle is my favorite bird. Also, eagles are commonly seen in North America. I think the little ones will be fascinated with this powerful but beautiful creature. 


Before I did some research online, making a 3-dimensional eagle puzzle game was already my first attempt. First, it is a great game to review the body parts of a bird. Also, by assembling the pieces, the little one not only enhances their fine motor skills but also learns how to balance the eagle.  However, I could not find any templates or samples made with cardboard online.. Instead of purchasing a pre-made wooden one, I preferred to make one with recycled materials so the little ones could have fun with it. Finally, I found a similar wooden eagle puzzle online but it looked too complicated for 3 to 5 years olds. Therefore, I made some changes, drew out the pieces on the shoebox, cut them up and painted. My main purpose for this puzzle is to meet their needs so it should be age-appropriate with just enough challenge for them to complete it. 


The next day, we talked about eagles at circle time. I had them try to complete the puzzle by taking turns so it was teamwork. Surely, some younger ones needed a bit of assistance but they all enjoyed it. 



The other activity was “feed the chick!” The little ones just use mini tongs to pick a “worm” twisted by a pipe cleaner and “feed the chick.” I thought other than just promoting their eye-and-hand coordination, I could add some math to it. I had the number cards from 1 to 10. The child picks a card randomly and “feeds the chick” with the same number of worms. In this way, number recognition was also introduced. It was just a little add-on but absolutely benefits their cognitive development. 



I know creating a dynamic environment and meaningful learning activities to enrich little children’s experience is not easy and takes time and effort. However, I always believe that supporting their development across various domains is the best way to help them grow.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog