How children reconstruct the guided activity to their free plays


My little friends always surprise me with their capacity for learning and creativity. At the circle time, guided activities with specific instructions are surely beneficial for the young learners. Even more, to observe how they reconstruct certain activities in their free plays truly amazed me. Here are some examples.


1.  Small bears on the bridge.

When we talked about bears, I incorporated science and math in this theme. I used colored cups and popsicle sticks to create “bridges” and put some small bears on the top of each popsicle stick. We tried to put as many bears as we could while keeping the bridges in balance. Then, I put my little friends into small groups, gave them some cups, sticks and bears and asked them to work as a team to build a bridge. They surely had fun.


On the second day, when I opened it as one of the table time activities, Child E reconstructed the bridges with the small bears on the top of the sticks. He shouted out my name and proudly announced “ Miss Agnes, look, I made it!” I gave him a thumb up to encourage him to continue. His successful presentation made more friends join the activity. I heard the counting and the conventions about how to build the bridge in different ways or directions.   



2. Obstacle course with “pool noodle rings”

During playtime in the gym, I used hoop-la-hoops to make obstacle courses. They walked, jumped and hopped through the rings. It was really fun. A couple oof days later, I saw Child P line up the “pool noodle rings' ' as the obstacle course we did but simpler and easier. She started walking through the rings and more friends joined her game. She was very proud of herself by leading her fellows to do the obstacle course.  



Guided activities provide structures and steps that enhance children’s cognitive development, including understanding the concepts, analyzing the elements, and recreate the similar experience with their own imagination and creativity. Also, the sense of self-achievement thrives the little minds on more exploration with curiosity once they can lead their peers to initiate similar activities in free play. It encourages a willingness to take on further challenges as well. From a social learning perspective, the more interactions among the peers, the more collaboration will be involved. 



As a teacher, I also view my role as a facilitator. It always amazes me to see these sparking moments as well as encourages to foster a more positive and supportive learning environment for the young children, to express their full potential. Their daily progress is truly rewarding.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog