My perspective to view students’ mistakes on their work and tests


First of all, in my opinion, students are surely allowed to make mistakes in their work because it is one of the crucial parts of the learning process. Thus, as a teacher, this is a great opportunity to evaluate a student’s progress. In other words, the workbook/worksheets/projects can be used as informal assessments. The result should reflect back to the curriculum or next lesson plans to enhance students' understanding of a particular concept or further clarification. Students should also be responsible for their work. Before they hand in their assignment, they should check their work and try to correct the mistakes they spot on. Self-correcting fosters a sense of accountability. It helps them prompt analyzing and critical thinking skills by rethinking where to correct or make it better. As a teacher, I believe I am a facilitator. When I circle their mistakes and provide the correct ones after their first try, I ask them to review the test again. I also collect their mistakes as “data,” to adjust my instructional teaching strategies. For example, if it is a common mistake, it shows me the concept needs to be addressed more comprehensively in the future lesson. On the contrary, if the majority of the students complete their work without making mistakes, more challenges could be added on. 


As to preview the test, I take it as a way to consider how challenging it would be to my students. If my students have been equipped with the skills needed, how can I prepare them to do better on the test? Take vocabulary as an example. I do believe “guessing” the meaning of an unknown word based on the content is also a key to success in reading. I practice the skill with my students in reading sessions in class as well as remind them that they may see some unknown words on the test. They are encouraged to find “clues” in the same sentence, previous sentence or next sentence to help them “guess”. Those unknown vocabulary should not be taught before the test but the skill does. 

As to preview the test, I take it as a way to consider how challenging it would be to my students. If my students have been equipped with the skills needed, how can I prepare them to do better on the test? Take vocabulary as an example. I do believe “guessing” the meaning of an unknown word based on the content is also a key to success in reading. I practice the skill with my students in reading sessions in class as well as remind them that they may see some unknown words on the test. They are encouraged to find “clues” in the same sentence, previous sentence or next sentence to help them “guess”. Those unknown vocabulary should not be taught before the test but the skill does.   


Allowing students to make mistakes gives them great opportunities to grow. Thus, using proactive teaching approaches to guide them through the learning process from mistakes is always my principle.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog